Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Computer Networking......

  1. #1
    Inactive Member UTVols2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    5,601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Computer Networking......

    OK, I have a question about computer networking. I would appreciate if someone can inform me in English how to do this with minimal cost. Basically what I am wanting to do is just setup a small network to bring together only two computers. A regular desktop computer and a laptop.

    1. What additional equipment will I need to purchase? Is it as simple as just purchasing a router and networking it that way. Anyway, I don't know a tremendous amount about computers but I guess I am not a total beginner. Any additional information would be appreciated. And please explain it to me in dummy terms.

    Thanks
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Computer Networking......

    Assuming your laptop is capable of wireless internet, all ya need to do is get a router.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  3. #3
    Inactive Member UTVols2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    5,601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Computer Networking......

    I was hoping that is what somebody would say and yeah I have a wireless internet card in my laptop so this shouldn't be too bad.
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member imported_mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2004
    Posts
    5,094
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Computer Networking......

    yep a router will do the trick. When you setup the network, there will be some options and what you want to share and such. Some things you may not want to share if you decide not to encrypt your network because I could just drive by your house sit in your driveway and read your documents. Do an encryption if your security is that important.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member UTVols2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    5,601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Computer Networking......

    Cool. I will definately remember to do that. I thought it was as simple as that too set up a network but haven't had to pull out my Butch Hutchinson manual in a while to work on computers [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member imported_mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2004
    Posts
    5,094
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Computer Networking......

    lol. Do you have verizon dsl or comcast cable?

  7. #7
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Computer Networking......

    If you have Verizon DSL, you should be able to get a wireless router from them.
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member imported_burrhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,878
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Computer Networking......

    I've got a Belkin for sale. $20

  9. #9
    Inactive Member UTVols2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    5,601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Computer Networking......

    I have Verizon DSL.
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

  10. #10
    The_Sage
    Guest The_Sage's Avatar

    Re: Computer Networking......

    I have wireless networking, but bought a new laptop with vista and it asks me for a password,, can't remember it so i can't use the laptop,, any suggestions on how to figure it out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •